List the advantages associated with water harvesting at the community level. (CCE 2012)
Water harvesting at the community level is capturing, collection and storage of rain water and surface run off for filling either small water bodies or
recharging ground water. This is carried out through water shed management, check dams, earthen dams, roof top harvesting and filter wells in
- It ensures water availability in non-rainy season,
- It reduces the chances of flooding during rainy season,
- Ground water level does not fall as it is regularly recharged,
- Ground water recharge is the best form of water harvesting as the water is filtered and free from contaminations. It also does not evaporate,
- Water becomes available for drinking as well as irrigation.