The Potentiometer and the Voltmeter both are the voltage measuring devices. The main Difference Between Potentiometer and Voltmeteris that the potentiometer measures the emf of the circuit whereas voltmeter measures the end terminal voltage of the circuit. The other differences between the Potentiometer and the voltmeter are explained below in the comparison chart.
Browse More Topics Related to Potentiometer:
- Potentiometer Working Principle
- Difference Between Potentiometer and Voltmeter
- Sensitivity of Potentiometer
- Uses of Potentiometer
- Advantages of Potentiometer
- Potentiometer Important Questions
- The Potentiometer is an instrument used for measuring the emf, whereas the voltmeter is a type of meter which measures the terminal voltage of the circuit.
- The Potentiometer accurately measures the potential difference because of zero internal resistance. Whereas, the voltmeter has a high internal resistance which causes the error in measurement. Thus the voltmeter approximately measures the voltage.
- The sensitivity of the Potentiometer is very high, i.e. it can measure small potential differences between the two points. The voltmeter has low sensitivity.
- The Potentiometer uses the null deflection type instrument whereas the voltmeter uses the deflection type instrument.
- The Potentiometer has infinite internal resistance, whereas the Potentiometer has high measurable resistance.
ConclusionThe Potentiometer and voltmeter both measures the emf in volts. The Potentiometer is used in a circuit where the accurate value of voltage is required. For approximate calculation, the voltmeter is used. Physics Revision Series by Saransh Sir (AIR 41 in IIT-JEE)
- Types and Effects of Electric Current
- Ohm’s Law and Resistance
- Combination of Resistances
- EMF and Internal Resistances of a Cell
- Cells Connected in Series, parallel and Mixed
- Kirchhoff’s Circuit Law
- Electric Currents in Conductors
- Wheatstone Bridge
- Post office Box
- Wheatstone Meter Bridge
- Moving Coil galvanometer
- Ammeter and Voltmeter