Give reasons :
- A gas fills completely the vessel in which it is kept.
- A gas exerts pressure on the walls of the container.
- A wooden table should be called a solid.
- We can easily move our hand in air but to do the same through a solid block of wood we need a karate expert.
- The molecules of gas have high kinetic energy due to which they keep moving in all directions and hence fill the vessel completely in which they are kept.
- A gas exerts pressure on the container because the molecules of the gas are in constant random motion due to high kinetic energy. These molecules constantly vibrate, move and hit the walls of the container thereby exerting pressure on it.
- The molecules/particles of wooden table are tightly packed with each other, there is no intermolecular space, it cannot be compressed, it cannot flow, all these characteristics are of solid. So wooden table should be called a solid.”
- We can easily move our hand in air but to do the same through a solid block of wood we need a karate expert. It is because the molecules of air has less force of attraction between them and a very small external force can separate them and pass through it. But in case of solids, the molecules have maximum force of attraction, the particles are tightly bound due to this force. Hence large amount of external force is required to pass through solid.