Seeds of some plants germinate immediately after shedding from the plants while in other plants they require a period of rest before germination. The latter phenomenon is called dormancy. Give the reasons for seed dormancy and some methods to break it.
Reasons for seed dormancy -
• Impermeable and hard seed coat
• Presence of chemical inhibitors like abscisic acid
• Immature embryo
Methods to break seed dormancy are –
• Washing away of inhibitors due to rain
• Maturation of embryo
• Inactivation of growth inhibitors due to heat or cold treatment.
• Weakening and decomposition of seed coat by microorganisms.