Download now India's Best Exam Prepration App
Class 9-10, JEE & NEET
|Video Lectures||Live Sessions|
|Previous Year Paper||Revision|
Write the modes by which insects affect the crop yield.
The important types of crops are :
1. Cereal Crops (Grain Crops): Wheat, rice, maize, (major cereals), barley, sorghum, minor millets (minor cereals). They are rich source of carbohydrates that meet the energy requirement of body. Other useful ingredients are dietary fibres, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
2. Pulses (Legume Seeds): Gram (chana), pea (matar), black gram (urad), green gram (moong), pigeon pea (arhar), lentil (masoor). Pulses are rich in proteins.
3. Oil Seed Crops: Groundnut (peanut), mustard, linseed, sunflower, sesame, soyabean, niger, castor. They are a source of oils, fats and fatty acids.
4. Fruit and Vegetable Crops: Orange, apple, mango, banana, pineapple, cabbage, cauliflower, brinjal, okra, carrot, beans, potato. They are a source of minerals, vitamins, roughage and small quantities of protein, carbohydrates and oil.
5. Chilly, black pepper, ginger, turmeric. They are used for enhancing palatability of foods.
6. Other Crops: Crop plants also yield fibres (e.g., cotton), sugar (e.g., sugarcane, sugar beet), tobacco, tea, etc.
7. Fodder Crops: Berseem, oat, Sudan grass, sorghum. They provide green fodder to cattle.
8. Castor oil is not edible oil. It is mainly used as a lubricant, purgative, phenyls, hair fixers, etc.