1st Attempt बर्बाद? Get 99%ile in 2nd Attempt & Dream IIT | Limited Seats

NEET UG State Quota 2024

JEE Mains & Advanced

NEET UG and State Quota 

NEET UG: 

The National Eligibility and Entrance Test or NEET is one of the best entrance exams for medical colleges in India. The National Testing Agency (NTA) administers the NEET exam, which is the main exam for applicants to undergraduate medical programs (MBBS/BDS) at government and private medical colleges in India.

To provide consistent and transparent admissions to students who want to enroll in undergraduate medical courses (MBBS/BDS) in government or private medical colleges throughout India, NEET was introduced to replace several state-level and university-level medical entrance exams. The NEET exam evaluates applicants' eligibility by assessing their knowledge in topics like biology (botany and zoology), chemistry, and physics.

State Quota:

Medical college seats are allocated in two quotas which are State quota and All India quota (AIQ) seats. 85% of the total medical seats are allocated under state quota while the remaining 15% of total medical seats are under All India quota (AIQ).

The State Quota in NEET exam (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) refers to the 85% of seats in government and private medical and dental colleges within a particular state that is reserved for candidates from that state.

Seat allocation in NEET is split into these two quotas: 

Seat allocation in NEET is split into two quotas which are:

  1. All India Quota (AIQ)

  2. State Quota 

AIQ (All India Quota)

The All India Quota (AIQ) in NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) refers to 15% of seats available in medical and dental colleges across India that are reserved for candidates from any state which means candidates from any state of India can get admission to any medical college of India under All India Quota (AIQ) seats. NEET seats are filled through a centralized counseling process, which is conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), on behalf of the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC).

Key points about the All India Quota in NEET:

Percentage of Seats: 15% of seats in government medical and dental colleges in each state are designated as All India Quota seats.

Counseling Process: The counseling for All India Quota seats is conducted online by the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC). 

Eligibility: To be eligible for the All India Quota seats, candidates should fulfill the eligibility criteria for NEET, including educational qualifications.

Reservation: Like the state quota seats, the All India Quota seats also have reservations for various categories such as Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC), and economically weaker sections (EWS).

State Quota

The State Quota in NEET exam (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) refers to the percentage of seats in government and private medical and dental colleges within a particular state that is reserved for candidates from that state.

Key points about the State Quota in NEET:

Percentage of Seats: The 85% of seats reserved under the State Quota varies from state to state. Each state determines the percentage of seats that will be allocated to candidates who meet the eligibility criteria for that state.

Domicile Criteria: To be eligible for the State Quota seats, candidates typically need to fulfill the domicile criteria of the respective state. 

NEET – All India Quota

NEET, which stands for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, is a very important exam in India. If you want to become a doctor, you must pass this exam to get into medical courses like MBBS, BDS, or AYUSH.

When it comes to NEET, there are certain rules about who gets how many seats. It's not just about getting a good score; there are reserved seats for different categories like SC/ST/OBC/EWS/PWD. Not only that, some seats are for the people of a particular state, while others are for anyone in the whole country.

Out of all the seats, 85% are for people from the state where the college is, and the other 15% are for everyone in India. This means that if you're from a specific state, you get an advantage in getting a seat in your state.

For the NEET exam in 2023, it's going to happen on 7th May. You can find out about it in the first week of May and get your admit card. There are about 535 colleges in India that are

authorized for medical studies, and they can offer a total of 79,148 seats. Most of these seats are under the 85% quota for the people of the state.

If you are from a particular state, you can apply under this quota when you are doing the counseling for NEET in 2023. However, the rules for this can change depending on the state. The state can decide how many seats are reserved for different categories of people.

If you want to get into private medical colleges, the rules might be different. The admission process, including medical check-ups and other things, will depend on what the state or union territory decides.

Now, the remaining 15% of seats are for everyone in India. But there are some states like Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Jammu & Kashmir where people can't get admission in this 15% quota. The admission process for these seats is a bit different. The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) prepares a merit list based on NEET scores, and a central committee called the Medical Council Committee (MCC) arranges online counseling to decide who gets these seats.

If two people have the same marks in NEET, there are specific rules to decide who gets the seat. These rules are made by the government to be fair to everyone.

When two students score the same in the NEET-UG exam, their ranking is decided by following a set of rules. First, they check the marks in Biology (which includes Botany and Zoology). Whoever has more marks in this subject gets a higher rank. If that's the same, they look at the Chemistry marks, and the one with more marks in Chemistry gets a better rank.

But what if the marks in Biology and Chemistry are also the same? That's when they count the number of wrong answers. The student with fewer wrong answers across all subjects gets a higher rank.

Now, if everything is still equal, they consider age. The older student is given preference. So, if two students have the same score in NEET-UG, the one who did better in Biology and Chemistry, had fewer wrong answers, or is older, will get a higher rank. This is a fair way to decide when students perform equally in the exam.

It's important to note that for some institutions like AIIMS and JIPMER, there are separate entrance exams. But even for these, your NEET rank matters along with your exams. And remember, for NEET 2023, you can't use the score from any other state's medical entrance test.

NEET State Quota 2023

NEET Reservation 2023 plays a crucial role in determining who gets a seat in medical colleges across India. Understanding this process is important for aspiring medical students.

Firstly, 85% of the seats are reserved under the State Quota. To fill these seats, a merit list is created, and each state or Union Territory conducts separate counseling sessions to assess this list. If you're eyeing a seat in your home state, contacting the state counseling authority is essential. They will provide information about dates and the steps to follow. Remember, eligibility criteria and reservation policies vary from one state or Union Territory to another.

Moving on to the 15% All India Quota (AIQ) Seats, eligibility is open to Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCI, PIO, and Foreign Nationals. To secure a spot in this quota, candidates must engage in online counseling conducted by the Medical Counseling Committee (MCC). The counseling process involves multiple rounds, ensuring that every eligible candidate gets a fair chance.

Interestingly, if there are still vacant seats in the AIQ after all the rounds of counseling, these seats don't go to waste. Instead, they get converted into State Quota seats, increasing opportunities at the state level.

One noteworthy update is that Andhra Pradesh and Telangana are now part of the 15% All India Quota Counseling. This means students from these states can directly participate in the AIQ counseling without the need for a self-declaration form.

Candidates must be aware of the reservation policies and procedures specific to their state or Union Territory. Adhering to these guidelines ensures a smoother journey through the NEET admission process. Aspiring medical students should stay informed about the counseling dates, eligibility criteria, and any changes in reservation policies that may occur. This knowledge empowers them to make informed decisions about their academic future and increases their chances of securing a seat in the medical college of their choice.

NEET State Quota Eligibility

The state quota seats are usually reserved for candidates who fulfill the domicile criteria of a particular state. Domicile criteria refer to the requirement that candidates should be residents or have completed their education in that particular state.

Here are some general points to consider regarding NEET state quota eligibility:

Domicile Criteria: States may have specific rules regarding the domicile of candidates. Candidates are often required to provide proof of residence or education in the state for a certain number of years.

Educational Qualification: Candidates must have passed the qualifying examination (12th standard or equivalent) with the required percentage of marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology.

NEET Qualification: Candidates must qualify in the NEET exam with the minimum required percentile. The cutoff percentile may vary from state to state.

Age Limit: There is an age limit for NEET eligibility. As of my last update, the general age limit for NEET is 17 to 25 years. However, there are age relaxations for reserved categories.

How to know your state ranking in the NEET exam? 

To know your state ranking in the NEET exam, you typically need to follow the state-specific counseling process. Here's a general overview of the steps you can take to find your state ranking in the NEET exam:

Check State Counseling Website: Visit the official website of the state's counseling authority responsible for NEET admissions. Each state usually has its counseling authority.

Registration: This registration process is separate from the NEET application.

Login to Your Account: Log in to your account on the state's counseling portal using the credentials you used during registration.

Check Merit List: Look for the merit or rank list on the counseling portal. 

Search for Your Details: Use your roll number or any other identification details to search for your specific ranking in the merit list.

Download Rank Card: Once you locate your name in the merit list, you may have the option to download a rank card. 

Participate in Counseling: The state counseling process is often based on the state ranking. 

How to Apply for State quota in NEET exam?

The process for applying for the state quota in the NEET exam may differ from state to state. A general overview of the steps involved in applying for state quota in the NEET exam is given below:

NEET Application: First, you need to register and appear for the NEET exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). You can apply for the NEET exam through the official NEET website.

Eligibility Criteria: Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria set by the state for the state quota. 

State Registration: After the NEET results are declared, individual states release their notification for state counseling or admissions.

Choice Filling and Locking: Log in to the state's counseling portal and fill in your choices of colleges and courses available under the state quota.

Document Verification: Attend the document verification process at the designated centers. You will be required to submit relevant documents to prove your eligibility for the state quota.

Seat Allotment: Based on your rank, choices, and availability of seats, the state counseling authority will allot seats. You may need to confirm your seat by paying the prescribed fee.

Reporting to Allotted College: Once you are allotted a seat, report to the designated college within the specified time for further admission formalities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: What is the percentage distribution of state quota and All India Quota (AIQ) seats of medical colleges in India?

Answer 1: 85% of the total medical seats of medical colleges of India are allocated under state quota and the remaining 15% of total medical seats of medical colleges of India are allocated under All India Quota(AIQ).

Question 2: What are the documents required for applying for a state quota medical seat?

Answer 2: Documents required of candidates for applying for state quota medical seats are:

  1. State domicile

  2. NEET result card

  3. 12th mark sheet

Close
faculty

Click here to get exam-ready with eSaral

For making your preparation journey smoother of JEE, NEET and Class 8 to 10, grab our app now.

Download Now