Download now India's Best Exam Prepration App
Class 9-10, JEE & NEET
|Video Lectures||Live Sessions|
|Previous Year Paper||Revision|
What are consequences of the following conditions?
1. A cell containing higher water concentration than the surrounding medium.
2. cell having low water concentration as compared to its surrounding medium.
3. A cell having equal water concentration to its surrounding medium.
High water concentration occurs in hypotonic solution, low water concentration in hypertonic solution while equal water concentration occurs in isotonic solution.
1. A cell having higher water content or hypotonic cell sap will undergo exosmosis and therefore, lose water. It may undergo plasmolysis.
2. A cell having low water concentration or hypertonic cell sap will undergo endosmosis and absorb water from outside. It would become turgid.
3. A cell having isotonic cell sap will neither gain or lose water to the external medium.