Potentiometer is defined as an instrument which is used for measuring an electromotive force (emf) by balancing emf against the potential difference that is produced by passing known amount of current. Here we will study about the advantages and disadvantages of Potentiometer. Also you’ll get to know about the advantages of Potentiometer over Voltmeter.
- Advantages of Potentiometer
- Advantages of Potentiometer over Voltmeter
- Disadvantages of Potentiometer
- Potentiometer works on zero deflection method so possibility of error is very small.
- The standardization of potentiometer can be done directly with a standard cell.
- This is highly sensitive so can be used to measure small emf’s.
- For more accuracy the length of potentiometer wire can be increased according to requirement.
- It does not draw any current from the circuit in which it is used for measurement.
- Potentiometer provides the exact value of potential difference across any two points in a circuit because it never draws any current from the circuit whereas in the case of voltmeter there is always loss of energy due to internal resistance of cell
- Accuracy of potentiometer can be increased by increasing length of potentiometer but same cannot hold for voltmeter.
 The use of potentiometer is inconvenient.
 The area of crossection of potentiometer wire must be uniform which is practically not possible.
 During experiment the temperature of potentiometer wire must remain uniform. This is difficult because of flow of current.
 The major disadvantage is that it requires a large force to move their sliding contacts i.e. wiper. There is wear and tear due to movement of the wiper. It reduces the life of this transducer.
 Also, there is limited bandwidth.
The Potentiometer and voltmeter both measures the emf in volts. The Potentiometer is used in a circuit where the accurate value of voltage is required. For approximate calculation, the voltmeter is used.
- Potentiometer Working Principle
- Difference Between Potentiometer and Voltmeter
- Sensitivity of Potentiometer
- Uses of potentiometer
- Precautions in the Use of Potentiometer
- Comparing emf of two cells using Potentiometer
- Calibration of Voltmeter
- Calibration of Ammeter
- Potentiometer Important Questions
Watch out the Video: Applications of Potentiometer & its Construction by Saransh Sir.